Northcliffe Golf Club was founded in 1921 by a small group of golfing enthusiasts, who suggested the establishment of a municipal golf course on the Northcliffe Estate, Shipley. This Estate was given in trust to the people of Shipley by a well known benefactor Sir Henry Norman Rae, MP. Golf was first played over nine holes on what was then the Moorhead course.
A year later, due to the high demand for golf by Shipley residents and through the generosity and foresight of Sir Norman Rae, further land was acquired for an extension to the course. In 1922, James Braid and Harry Vardon were commissioned to supervise the design and construction of an additional nine holes. Between 1922 and 1930, the 18 hole course consisted of nine holes on the present site of Northcliffe Park Meadow, while the back nine holes were positioned in their current location, but in a different configuration.
During 1928, Sir Norman Rae conveyed to Trustees (The Norman Rae Playing Fields Ltd.) some 41 acres of land on the Heaton side of Northcliffe Wood. Mr James Braid was again commissioned to construct a new layout of the entire golf course, which by and large, remains the course as it stands today.
By deed of trust, the Norman Rae Playing Fields Ltd., ensured that the "townsfolk of limited means" would continue to be able to use the land for recreational purposes. The present lease term which commenced in 1999, is for 999 years.
The course has changed little in its layout since 1930, although, to this day we continue to develop and improve it, to ensure that it is always kept to the highest standard. The course measures 6113 yards off the white tees, 5879 yards off the yellow tees and 5344 yards off the ladies tees.
Notable is the opening hole; a testing 'fairly short Par 4' over a ravine to a green beyond the woods, dog-legged to the left, which for the daring is a drive over the trees. A particular feature of the opening hole is the steel footbridge spanning the ravine between the first tee and the fairway. This bridge was opened in 1933.
The signature hole is undoubtedly the 18th, which is a Par 3 into the same ravine (typified by our club logo) - driving downwards from an elevated tee to a green guarded by bunkers and a stream. This is one of the most scenic holes in Yorkshire and a card wrecker if ever there was one!